About IDEAS CITY
IDEAS CITY explores the future of cities with culture as a driving force. A collaborative, civic, and creative enterprise, it builds on the New Museum’s mission of “New Art, New Ideas” by expanding the Museum beyond its walls into the civic realm. Through talks, panels, workshops, projects, performances, and exhibitions, IDEAS CITY investigates key issues, proposes solutions, and seeds concrete actions. Founded by the New Museum in 2011, it is a major collaborative initiative between hundreds of arts, education, and civic organizations. A biennial IDEAS CITY Festival (2011, 2013, 2015, etc.) takes place every other May in New York City, while Global Conferences are organized in cities around the world. Both New York Festivals brought over fifty thousand people to the Bowery neighborhood in 2011 and 2013, respectively. The theme for 2015 is The Invisible City. In 2013, IDEAS CITY explored the theme of Untapped Capital.
IDEAS CITY Festival
In 2011, the first IDEAS CITY Festival took place over several days and included conferences, workshops, and a street fair that brought over fifty thousand people to the Bowery neighborhood. In 2013, IDEAS CITY was reprised in New York City and explored the theme of “Untapped Capital.” The theme for the next IDEAS CITY: NY in late May 2015 is Invisible City. Click here for more information on the upcoming 2015 Festival.View Past Festivals R
Global Conferences take place in key cities around the world, focusing on the unique situations of each city as well as its context in relation to global urbanism. The Conferences are organized in association with regional partners and are dedicated to growing a global community focused on the importance of culture in urban growth and innovation. IDEAS CITY: São Paulo took place in 2013 and IDEAS CITY: Istanbul in 2012.Browse Global Conferences R
Join our press list and receive press releases and
invitations to media previews.
Sign up now R
Below, please find a selection of press releases. Contact the IDEAS CITY Press Office: firstname.lastname@example.org
- New Museum’s IDEAS CITY Festival, Exploring the Future of the City, to Take Over the Bowery Neighborhood
- New Museum Appoints Joseph Grima as Director of IDEAS CITY
- Winner of IDEAS CITY Tenting Design Competition Announced by New Museum and Storefront for Art and Architecture; “MirrorMirror” Tents to Premiere at the IDEAS CITY Streetfest, Saturday May 4 on the Bowery
- IDEAS CITY Festival: Vast Network of Participants Will Transform Downtown Manhattan Into A Hub Of Creative Thinking and Action Anchored by a Major Conference of International Thought Leaders May 1–2
- IDEAS CITY Festival to Take Place May 1–4, 2013 Exploring the Theme of “Untapped Capital”
- IDEAS CITY, Second Biennial Festival About The Urban Future, To Be Held In New York City, May 1–4, 2013
- Sponsor Statement